Friday, December 14, 2007

The Verdict

When this idea first came to mind, I thought it was clever and unusual, and I loved that the concept allowed me to state exactly what I wanted and play by my own rules - in the most lighthearted, fun-spirited way. I am simply a girl who thought it might be fun to take a date to the holiday party...and yes, I am fully cognizant of the fact that I did not need to bring someone - I just preferred to! At the end of the day, my only motive was to find someone I felt I could have an entertaining evening with. Mission accomplished.

Without further adieu, I have selected "Winner" to be my date. "Winner" (name withheld out of respect for his privacy, though he disclosed this to me shortly after his bid) offered a home-cooked meal and a full-body massage. But what really set "Winner" apart was that he was the original bidder to focus on chivalry, and he made an explicit promise to not exploit our date. I had no idea that this would generate the magnitude of publicity that it has, and while I'm grateful for the attention, I cherish my privacy. "Winner" and I have many mutual friends, and his bid fulfills each component of my evaluation criteria, with the most important being potential compatibility. At the end of the day, we're all looking for someone we think we can have a great time with - and inarguably, the decisions we make regarding that are personal and deserve respect.

So with that in mind, I look forward to a great evening on Saturday, and I hope that each of you enjoys the holiday season for what it's worth - the best time of year to share happiness and laughter with those you care for the most...and maybe even those you think you can care for, given a few more office parties.

Thank you to everyone who picked up on this along the way: my family, the entire Fitzgerald+CO. family, personal friends, my self-appointed (but very talented) "publicists" who felt that this idea had some public merit - Anne Reeves and Rachel Hadley, Helena Oliviero and Joey Ivansco from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Tracey and the Q100 Bert Show crew, Alex Van Winkle, and last but not least - Santa Claus and Hanukkah Harry, without whom this would have never been possible.


To bidders and supporters alike: thank you for opening your hearts, air freshener, Heisman trophies, wind-up toys, and whatever else based on the faith that a date with me might be a good thing. And kudos to those of you who don't know me from Adam and still put forth a valuable effort - I am humbled by all of the nice things you had to say. I think it's refreshing for all of us to be reassured of the fact that human beings are inherently optimistic and well-intentioned, and that you never know what kind of great offer is right around the corner. May you all find an office party date that fulfills your personal evaluation criteria...

I am closing the comments section on this site, as I feel it has served its purpose, and served it well. It's been fun, but it's time to move on (and besides, I've spent at least 14 minutes writing this, which means I have about 1 more minute before my fame is up, anyway).

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy holiday season!

Karen